Thursday, February 24, 2011

DALE'S "FINAL" WORDS ARE SO TYPICAL


Boston.com - "It's been a pleasure." Then, after a brief pause: "I think I'll get out of here. The Big Show is coming up next."

The Big Show is coming up next? Really Dale? Listen, I have a lot of good memories listening to Dale while painting during the summers, and was slightly sad to hear that his show was cancelled, but let’s be honest. The guy is as mediocre as they come and his final remarks are a prime example. Dale never says anything controversial or unexpected, isn’t funny at all, and is largely disconnected with people under forty. He’s just been on the air so damn long and has just enough appeal that people give him a pass. Correct me if I’m wrong, but the majority of sports talk show hosts are egomaniacs, and that’s fine. You need that trait, along with some relative logic and an occasional sense of humor. Dale is no exception, so it disappoints me that he couldn’t come up with anything better to say for his final remarks. Don‘t kid yourself and think he hasn’t been constantly mulling this over for the past week or so. He surely hasn’t been sulking about having flexibility during the twilight years of his career. Plus, he disregarded his alleged “true passion” for calling Bruins games and went for the money a few years back. I don’t blame you Dale, but don’t give me a sob story when your salary plummets to the low six figures during a recession.  I was really hoping that after twenty plus years he would actually come up with something noteworthy or touching, but nope. In the end, just as the beginning and middle, nothing too interesting or too boring was said. I guess Woody Allen was right when he said “80% of success is showing up.” Either way, I’ll tip my cap. Dale’s accomplished more than most can claim, and did so in a very scrutinized and desired profession. After all, I’m definitely just jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment